OT: windows environment variables not working

Peter Maddin petermaddin at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 10 09:54:53 EST 2012

This has come back to haunt me.

%windir% is no longer resolved again.

Using cmd.exe

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\PeterMaddin>echo %windir%

%windir%

C:\Users\PeterMaddin>

I am not sure what causes this, but its really annoying.

Regards Peter Maddin
Applications Development Officer
PathWest Laboratory Medicine WA
Phone : +618 6396 4285 (Monday, Wednesday,Friday)

Phone : +618 9346 4372 (Tuesday, Thursday)
Mobile: 0423 540 825
E-Mail : petermaddin at iinet.net.au; peter.maddin at health.wa.gov.au
The contents of this e-mail transmission outside of the WAGHS network are
intended solely for the named recipient's), may be confidential, and may be
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure in the public interest.
The use, reproduction, disclosure or distribution of the contents of this
e-mail transmission by any person other than the named recipient(s) is
prohibited. If you are not a named recipient please notify the sender
immediately.

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\PeterMaddin>echo %windir%

C:\windows

C:\Users\PeterMaddin>

I have just cold booted my machine and the menu shortcuts do now work.

They did not before.

The icons are the only thing that don't display correctly now.

I have had many problems with windows explorer previously (not just me, from
googling others had the same problems)

One real headache was with creating a new folder or file in a directory. It
was invisible and you had to do a refresh to see it.

After several automatic updates, this problem has been fixed (fingers
crossed).

When you are trying to get some work finished you don't need these sorts of
gremlins popping up to bite you.

A number of applications I had pinned to the taskbar have gone (self
unpinned).

I can live without the icons being rendered for now.